I’m at secondary school – how can I get on the pathway to a career in health? Find out where your study can take you.
A career in health can take you anywhere and it starts with the Pacific Health Science Academies. Access extra academic support while you study NCEA, get pastoral help with your studies and gain exposure to health professions while you learn.
1 PACIFIC HEALTH SCIENCE ACADEMY
The Pacific Health Science Academies provide extra support in Year 11, 12 and 13 students in the areas of science, maths, and English, to help you prepare for entry into tertiary study.. You’ll have contact with doctors, nurses, and other clinicians along the way while you learn. Choosing the right NCEA subjects is important. The Pacific Health Science Academy is a step in the right directoing o achieve the right NCEA qualifications that lead to relevant tertiary study and your career in health.
2 ACADEMIES PROVIDE:
- Academic support with NCEA, science maths and English studies
- Exposure to health professions while you learn
- Learning opportunities with other students just like you
- Access to the right tertiary pathways
- Preparation and improved chances of securing a job in the health sector
- Pastoral help and guidance
3 YOUR COMMITMENT
Participating in the Pacific Health Science Academy means you’ll need to attend extra tutorials each week. You’ll also need to make time for hospital visits, talanoa with health professionals, and academic mentoring.
- More than 2/3 of students have transitioned on from year 11 Pacific Health Science Academies to years 12 and 13
- Above-average school attendance rates are being maintained by academy students in schools
- Senior Academy students are expressing long-term ambitions to work in the health sector
- When students were asked to identify careers of greatest future interest, doctors and nurses featured highly, followed by midwife, health promoter and radiography roles
- Pacific Health Science Academy students are collectively receiving better NCEA results than their contemporaries
- When asked to reflect on “What is most important to them about the careers they are interested in, students stressed that doing something which increases the wellbeing of their local community, and seeing an immediate impact of their work, were most important
For Students – Join a Pacific Health Science Academy
Pacific Health Science Academies are currently offered at the following schools. Ask your Science teachers about joining your school’s academy.
- James Cook High School (Maori and Pacific)
- Tangaroa College(Maori and Pacific)
- De La Salle College (Pacific)
- Onehunga High School (Pacific)
- Waitakere College (Pacific)
- Alfriston College (Maori)
“Seeing our people in hospital gives you a reason to go into health.”
- Tangaroa College Pasifika student
“We met many memorable people during these (Pacific Health Science Academy) activities and we learnt why we need more Pacific people in the medical field, because the majority of the patients in Counties Manukau are Pacific and we need more Pacific Health Workers so the patients can relate to them and feel more comfortable under their care. Learning this has inspired us to pursue a career in the medical field... It has been a great experience meeting many people with a passion for health science as well as meeting people who work in this field."
- Tyson Pula, David Hansen, Jordan Khan, Sean Hakeagatoa from De la Salle College